Inspired by our latest Wellness expert, Alicia Pan – whose blog you can read here – we're presenting this deliciously simple and healthy Grilled Chicken and Quinoa salad.
The main ingredients are:
- Rocket leaves + Baby spinach
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Grilled Chicken breast
- Salt+ Pepper+ Olive Oil + Lemon (flavour boosters)
- Boiled egg (optional)
- Pumpkin seeds
For the perfect quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh colander under cold running water for at least 30 seconds.
- Place the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan of water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 10 to 20 minutes (small amounts of quinoa will be ready closer to 10 minutes; larger amounts between 15 to 20).
- Remove the pot from heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes. This step gives the quinoa time to pop open into little curlicues, so it’s nice and fluffy. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
For the chicken breast:
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Place chicken on the grill for 7-8 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 7-8 minutes or until no pink remains. Rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.
In the meantime:
- Prepare your veggies: Thinly slice red onion, halve the cherry tomatoes, slice cucumbers, slice the avocado, wash the leafy greens under running water.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, combine your veggies (not including the avocado) with the quinoa, and drizzle over some lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with some salt to taste.
- Top the salad with your sliced chicken breast and sliced avocado. Add more lemon juice or salt if you wish at this point.
- Finally, roughly chop your walnuts and generously sprinkle these and the pumpkin seeds over the top for an added crunch.
Et voila! Deliciously satisfying.