Our first Wellness Talks health professional Karin G. Reiter has shared with us a family favourite recipe. Full of natural goodness, these cookies are the perfect healthy treat for you or for the little ones.
Learn more about Karin in our Wellness Series post.
Ingredients (makes 24 smallish cookies):
- 3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats (not instant)
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (with no aluminium)
- 175 grams of 70% good quality dark chocolate bar chopped into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients together: bananas, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
- In another bowl combine together the dry ingredients: oats almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- The dough is a little bit looser than a standard cookie dough, don’t worry about it. Make small drops of the dough 5 cm apart.
Bake for 15-20 minutes till golden. It’s also good to underbake them a little bit to keep them a bit chewy.
These cookies freeze well.